Game Design – Week 13 – Changes

COPY AND PASTE ALL THE CONTENT BELOW

• REVIEW THESE BLOG POST EXAMPLES:

“The successful free to play games are selling positive emotions. Not content.” – Nicholas Lovell

“It should be the experience, that is touching. What I strive for is to make the person playing the game the director.” – Shigeru Miyamoto

SUMMARY

• I had an ok week. I learned a few things. Though I am turning this late. I feel like it’s as completed as ever, so yay.

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

Screenshot from Sololearn.com

Unity – C#

• For now, I am stuck in the “your first c# program” due to some technical difficulty so I have no choice but to do a little bit of java for construct 3 instead. After doing a little bit of javascript learning, it defiantly feels a lot easier to learn.

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

Screenshot from Extra Credits Channel
MDA image from Wikipedia

MDA Notes

• Mechanics
    • Mechanics are the base components of the game – its rules, every basic action the player can take in the game, the algorithms and data structures in the game engine etc.
  • Dynamics
    • Dynamics are the run-time behavior of the mechanics acting on player input and “cooperating” with other mechanics.
  • Aesthetics
  • Aesthetics are the emotional responses evoked in the player.There are many types of aesthetics, including but not limited to the following eight stated by Hunicke, LeBlanc and Zubek:
    1. Sensation (Game as sense-pleasure): Player enjoys memorable audio-visual effects.
    2. Fantasy (Game as make-believe): Imaginary world.
    3. Narrative (Game as drama): A story that drives the player to keep coming back
    4. Challenge (Game as obstacle course): Urge to master something. Boosts a game’s replayability.
    5. Fellowship (Game as social framework): A community where the player is an active part of it. Almost exclusive for multiplayer games.
    6. Discovery (Game as uncharted territory): Urge to explore game world.
    7. Expression (Game as self-discovery): Own creativity. For example, creating character resembling player’s own avatar.
    8. Submission (Game as pastime): Connection to the game, as a whole, despite of constraints.

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

Brainstorm Ideas for Each of the Eight Categories

1. Sensation (Game as sense-pleasure): The player enjoys memorable audio-visual effects.
    • Something that makes the player satisfied through the visuals or audio
  2. Fantasy (Game as make-believe): Imaginary world.
    • Basically, a thing/word where the play can be or do whatever the heck they want that wouldn’t do in the real world, such as fifa.
  3. Narrative (Game as drama): A story that drives the player to keep coming back
    • A game where a player can get to complete a game by the story or the order the creator(s) made the game to be played.
  4. Challenge (Game as obstacle course): Urge to master something. Boosts a game’s replayability.
    • A game that puts some sort of challenge that the player can get to overcome.
  5. Fellowship (Game as social framework): A community where the player is an active part of it. Almost exclusive for multiplayer games.
    • A game in which the player is going to need to work with other people (community)
  6. Discovery (Game as uncharted territory): Urge to explore the game world.
    • A Game where the player can get to Explorer, like unlocking parts of a map.
  7. Expression (Game as self-discovery): Own creativity. For example, creating a character resembling player’s own avatar.
    • A game where the player can get to do everything in their way.
  8. Submission (Game as pastime): Connection to the game, as a whole, despite of constraints.
    • A game that’s continuous almost like GTA Online (I gotta include my boy gta) where you can keep playing and playing without an end

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY, PRODUCTIVITY & THE BRAIN)

• Set a timer
  • Spend 30 minutes in this ‘room’
Worksheet from bananatreelog.com
  • I learned about how to become a more positive thinker or how to convert negative thinking into positive thinking. I barely have negative thinking and when I do I usually lead myself away from it and they’re usually not that negative to the point they affect how I feel or think. Though if I do think negatively to the point it affects me, I usually play games, watch some YouTube, take time off of what I am doing, or just do something I enjoy like biking or just doing things on my computer.

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

• I learned a few things about making your mind think positively rather than negatively. I also learned a few things about M.D.As.